Tommy Hilfiger Sets the Record Straight

This shows how out of touch I am with what's going on in pop culture. I didn't even know about the decade old email and rumor that Tommy Hilfiger had said something derogatory about Mexicans, blacks, and Asians wearing his clothes until I saw him on Oprah yesterday. He was there to dispel the rumor.

Oprah read what has been an email that has spread like wildfire for years until it has been accepted as the truth. In the email, people were saying that Mr. Hilfiger was on her show and said something to the tune of "if he had known that Asians, Mexicans, and blacks were going to be wearing his clothes, he wouldn't have made them so appealing." The email went on to say that after this statement, Oprah kicked him off her show.

The fact is, he had never been on her show before, and so therefore could never have been kicked off. He swears he didn't say that either. He said that he has spent millions of dollars having the rumor investigated, and the source led to a college campus, but he was never able to pin down the person who started it.

Wow. I can't believe I am just now hearing about this. But I am glad that it is straightened out. However, I never cease to be amazed at the cruelty of people and how someone would have started a rumor like that in the first place.