How I found balance in my life?

We are a group of people whose lives are unique, those of us who make a living online. There are many good aspects to working from home. One of those perks is that we don’t have to get up and hit the streets like the rest of the world. Every morning when I wake up I thank God, as I listen to the traffic going by, regular folks on their way to their jobs, that I don’t have to be among them. No traffic to fight, no boss breathing down my neck, no messy office politics to deal with.

But there are also drawbacks to working from home, and for me one of those drawbacks is finding balance. For instance, this is Sunday, when I should be on the couch reading a book or watching a movie, but where am I? On this computer, working! And even when I am not working I am fooling around on the internet, but usually that is some form of work too: networking, traffic generation, checking emails, stats, etc.

I am sure that many of you can relate. It is just too easy to find yourself working when you should be taking time off when the computer is how you make your living and it is sitting there, in your home, calling to you. But we must find balance or risk burnout. I would imagine that most of the folks who have regular jobs probably don’t give their work a second thought once they head home.

So how do we do it, find balance? One suggestion I have that I am going to try myself is, since spring is coming and the weather is getting nicer and nicer, to make myself leave the house, even if it is just to go out in the backyard and sit in a lawn chair and read. We cannot chain ourselves to these machines, people! The world outside is calling and we must answer.  As God said, “All things in moderation.”