Lessons of life from sports

Robert over at Middle Zone Musings has started a group writing project and the subject matter is so compelling that I couldn’t help but join in. Robert ask the question, what did I learn from the world of sports? There are so many things I have learned from the world of sports that I could probably write a book about it. I played basketball in high school. I was actually pretty darned good at it too. I was the tallest girl in my freshman class, something that worried me–I was afraid I was going to keep growing and end up an amazon–but fortunately I peeked out at 5′6″ and stopped growing taller!

However, that height was a big advantage for me because I could make baskets. I was very aggressive and competitive too. Then, when my kids were little I pitched for an all women’s softball team that was sponsored by Taco Bell. We were called THE TACO SUPREMES. I have always had the skinniest legs and I remember one game when I was pitching and we were winning and the other team started calling me bird legs, taunting me. All that did was make me pitch better, determined not to let them get to me.

Both of my sons played sports their whole lives, starting out with t-ball when they were very young. They both played basketball and football as well. I watched my youngest son become the star pitcher for his high school baseball team. We even had a New York Yankees scout come to our house his junior year to interview him. They were seriously considering drafting him, but that same year he tore his rotator cuff and ended that dream, though he still played, he never got back that 96 mile an hour fast ball. However, he did end up receiving a partial baseball scholarship to a small university in south Texas. I really believe that Justin’s leadership abilities began with sports. He has always been the guy his friends looked up to because he is a winner, even when he loses.

With all of that said, and those experiences to back me up, it comes to me that the main thing I learned from the world of sports is that you must never, ever give up. In life, as in sports, it is determination, commitment, persistence, and the belief in yourself and your dreams that make the difference between winning and losing. It’s not the score, and no matter how bad things might look, there is always another game. Sports has taught me that the outcome is never guaranteed, but if you have the right attitude, you can handle anything that comes your way. The world of sports has taught me that I am made of strong stuff and that adversity builds character. When things look bleak you cannot give up. You have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get on with it. If you do this you can rest assured that when the final whistle blows, no matter the outcome, you are a winner because you didn’t quit.