Why I enjoy creative writing?

Have you ever been writing, looked up at the clock and two hours have disappeared? If so, then you know about that “magic place” I am speaking of. It is the best part of creative writing, and one of the only reasons some people write at all. To get there. To escape the humdrum of everyday life, to become lost in a world of their own creation, to maybe even become someone else for a little while.

With so much talk about query letters and agents and how to get published and money, there is the peril of losing the ability to go back to the magic place. Or that is what my experience has shown me. When I first started writing my YA novel, THE SUN SHINES ON MADDY WEAVER, I had no concerns except telling the story I needed to tell. I couldn’t wait to wake up in the morning so that I could write about Maddy again. I dreamed of my novel, the characters and events, not getting it published. I worked late into the night. Those were some of the happiest days of my life.

If I have one piece of advice for beginning creative writers it would be not to allow yourself to get caught up in the idea of publishing, the business side of things. Just write. Write for the pure joy of it. This is when your best work will come to the forefront. Like an old pro I sold life insurance with for years told me once, “Don’t worry about the mule, just load the wagon.” Everything else will take care of itself.